Comfort For Those That Mourn



I've been trying to catch up on my scrapbooking lately, trying to get it all done by April, before I go back to school.  I decided to re-do my daughter McKenna's scrapbook that has been falling apart the past couple of years.  McKenna is my first born child who passed away just shy of 4 months old.  You can read more about her short time here on earth and the circumstances behind her passing here and here. As I was going through her pictures and other items I saved, I came across all the sympathy cards John and I received, and the poems given to us after she died.  The tears started flowing as I reminisced of her short life and the many wonderful people who supported us during this very difficult time of our lives.

While I was reading through everything, I was thinking about the recent shooting in Newtown, CT, of the 20 innocent beautiful children whose lives were taken early; thinking of the many parents who were still mourning the loss of their dear sweet children.  They will mourn for years to come. Some may never recover from their loss.  While I know what it is like to lose a child, I will never understand their pain of losing their son or daughter in such a horrific way, with no warning, no time to prepare. 

As I was reading the beautiful poems that brought me much comfort, (and still do) I wanted so desperately to share them with them.  I know it's not much.  Words, sometimes, only go so far. So I decided to post them here.  I have noticed visitors to my blog from all over the world, and although I do not know how you come across finding my blog, my hope is that if someone...you... are searching for comfort during one of the most trying times of your life, or if you know of someone who is or has experienced the loss of a baby or child, I hope that you might find the following poems of comfort, and please share. 

The first poem was written by my aunt, Carolyn Collins, in memory of my daughter, McKenna.

OUR ANGEL BABY

Do angels kiss your rosy cheeks,
And wipe your little nose,
And cuddle you as evening comes,
And press your angel clothes?

I ask them, in my night-time prayers,
To love you as I would,
And wipe away your tears when knees are scraped
As I'd do, if I could.

You tried so hard to stay with us,
And with each blessing, sweet,
We gained new hope and confidence,
Each challenge, then to meet.

But Father had another plan,
And in His wisdom dear,
We had to give you back to Him;
Some angel hearts to cheer.

So please be good and wait for us
For we've a lot to do
If we're to earn our home above
And live again with you.

A PERFECT LIFE
( last name Aubrey)
Within this world of day to day,
Of hectic running, every which way.
Withing this world of toil and strife,
God gave, but for a moment, a perfect life.

A life that needed not to stay,
But lingered, to bless, along the way.
She came to earth to fulfill,
And magnify the Father's will.

And though I pray, "God save this life."
I say at last to Jesus Christ.
"Not my will, but thine be done."
I'll give to Thee, my only one.

Yes, she came to teach me of God's way,
Through serving Him, day by day.


The next poem is one I would want to share with all the parents of the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting.

TO ALL PARENTS
Edgar Guest

I'll lend you for a little time a child of mine, He said,
For you to love the while she lives and mourn for when she's dead.

It may be six or seven years, or twenty-two or three,
But will you, till I call her back, take care of her for me?

She'll bring her charms to gladden you, and shall her stay be brief,
You'll have her lovely memories as solace for your grief.

I cannot promise she will stay, since all from earth return,
But there are lessons taught down there, I want this child to learn.

I've looked the wide world over in my search for teachers true,
And from the things that crowd life's lanes, I have selected you.

Now will you give her all your love nor think the labor vain,
Nor hate me when I come to call to take her back again?

I fancied that I heard them say, Dear Lord, Thy will be done!
For all the joy Thy child shall bring, the risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter her with tenderness, we'll love her while we may,
And for the happiness we've known forever grateful stay.

But shall the angels call for her much sooner than we've planned,
We'll leave the bitter grief that comes and try to understand.


HOME FROM THE STORM
(James Holtkamp)

My sails are set to catch the breeze,
I move smoothly through a glassy calm.
The sun is warm as I take life's ease
With no worry, care, nor qualm.

Then, with a wrenching jerk, I am yanked
Into a cold and bitter deep.
I gasp in despair at the darkness black
Which has me in its keep.

I am tossed like flotsam which has been hurled
Into a sea that no longer is warm.
But I can see a glow on the rim of the world
That promises protection from harm.

Between me and that light is a harrowing shove
To reach the source of that ray of warmth,
And find peace and gentle, pure love.

Soon the tempest becomes but a memory short,
For He smoothed the seas that ran o'er.
And my life's journey is ended i a different port
Than where I was headed before.

Without the black storm, without the dark fear
Which first seemed to drown me in pain,
I would never have reached this harbor so dear,
Into the arms of my Father again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chocolate Chip Cookies Make The World Go Round......

To Be A Pioneer

How can you vote for Donald Trump?